Social Investment Scotland (SIS), the People’s Postcode Lottery and the Postcode Innovation Trust’s new Ambitions Masterclass Programme, designed to support inspiring leaders from Scotland’s third sector has been an overwhelming success.
The strategic programme designed to support leaders of ambitious social enterprises and charities scale their impact and increase sustainability was fully subscribed to within 24 hours of its launch – reflecting the ambition of Scotland’s third sector to achieve greater impact in communities throughout the country.
The programme which is being held in Edinburgh and Glasgow, comprises of series of six masterclasses with sessions from expert speakers including former Scottish Enterprise Chairman Bob Kellier and Hey Girls founder Celia Hodson.
Alastair Davis, CEO, Social Investment Scotland, said: “My counterparts at the People’s Postcode Lottery and the Postcode Innovation Trust and I are delighted that the new Ambitions Masterclass Programme has been so well received by those in the third sector. Working closely with enterprises across Scotland we are aware of just how many ambitious organisations there are, keen to scale up their services to deliver greater levels of impact within the communities they operate in.
“We are now working closely with the organisations and supporting their leaders to take the next step. Given the appetite and interest shown in our Ambitions Masterclass Programme, we are confident we will be able to run more masterclasses in the future, working alongside our partners – offering up to another 30 organisations the chance to take part.”
Joseph Ray from Postcode Innovation Trust said: “Helping the people behind these fantastic social enterprises become even better at making an impact in their communities is really important for everyone involved in this project. We’re pleased that players of People’s Postcode Lottery are enabling these masterclasses to take place.”
The Ambitions Masterclass Programme includes sessions on purpose driven leadership, pitching, raising investment, scaling operations and impact and managing change. The inaugural cohort organisations include:
· Caledonia Cremation - Scotland’s first not-for-profit funeral directors, operating across the country. The organisation also campaigns for fairness in funerals across Scotland.
· Gorgie City Farm - the free-entry farm serves as a unique outdoor resource offering hands on educational and learning opportunities for the local Edinburgh community. The farm is also committed to promoting community development and environmental sustainability.
· KLAS Care CIC - based in Paisley, the organisation provides affordable out of school care for children. Their services are designed so that working parents only pay for the care they require – enabling many parents to continue in employment.
· Radiant and Brighter CIC –established by Michael and Pheona Matovu who experienced years of unemployment as a result of immigration controls. The Community Interest Company aims to promote diversity through education, inspiration and changing perceptions.
· Stepwell - an innovative social enterprise committed to improving health, well-being and employment opportunities for vulnerable people living in the Inverclyde area. The organisation has established a local bistro serving home made fresh food, whilst also offering employment and training opportunities to vulnerable people.
· The Turing Trust – the Edinburgh based charity supports teaching in sub-Saharan Africa by reusing computers, to date the organisation has reused 4,200 PC’s enabling 41,000 students to gain a digital education.
Speaking about the course, participant, Pheona Matovu, founder & strategic director of Radiant and Brighter, said: “The Ambitious Masterclass Program is very informative and practical. The varied experiences of the speakers has been very enlightening, in particular one speaker spoke about company values in a way I hadn't ever thought of. His perspective was extremely educational and made me see company values in a more practical and relevant way. I’m applying his thinking to our company to ensure our values are communicated and applied much more effectively.”
The UK Social Entrepreneur Index, sponsored by UBS, is a celebration of social entrepreneurship across the UK.
Open to social entrepreneurs tackling a social or environmental issue at any scale, entrants will act as beacons of inspiration for others to encompass positive social impact.
For more info visit www.socialentsindex.co.uk.
Our BQ Bulletin emails will land in your inbox at 7.30am, Monday to Friday, with a mix of the latest local business news, national news, and features to inspire you. Sign up here!
Click here to read our privacy statement