The annual Celebration of Innovation Awards, from the West Midlands Academic Health Science Network (WMAHSN), recognise and reward innovation in healthcare from NHS organisations, academic institutions, social enterprises, care homes, charities and the private sector from across the region.
The awards will be presented at the WMAHSN's Celebration of Innovation Event on 20 July and reflect the WMAHSN's dual aim of improving health and creating wealth, as well as the organisation's key priorities and themes. There are also special awards for innovative individuals or teams and innovative organisations.
Tammy Holmes, innovation and adoption programme manager at WMAHSN, said: "We were absolutely delighted with the response to our first ever Celebration of Innovation Awards last year, and this year's awards have already proven to be bigger and better, with 107 entries across the 12 categories.
"As an AHSN, we work with innovators from across the healthcare sector, whether industry, NHS, academia, social enterprise or the third sector. These awards acknowledge the hard work going on throughout the West Midlands across the gamut of life sciences, and reward contributions towards our overall aim of accelerating the adoption of innovation to generate continuous improvement in the region’s health and wealth."
Dr Christopher Parker, managing director of WMAHSN, said: "While it was a very difficult task to whittle down the entries, our shortlisted entries all show proof of a collaborative approach to identifying the problem and developing the innovation, and clear evidence that the innovation has been implemented effectively.
"Importantly, they have shown evidence of the impact of the innovation on patient outcomes and value for money, and are demonstrably scalable, whether across the UK, Europe or even internationally.
"I would like to thank everyone for entering, and the very best of luck to our worthy shortlisted entrants!"
The shortlisted organisations are:
Innovative Organisation Award
- Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust
- Kimal Plc
- West Midlands Genomic Medicine Centre
Innovative Team of the Year Award
- Keele University’s Impact Accelerator Unit
- University of Birmingham’s HIT Team
- West Midlands Genomic Medicine Centre’s Ambassadors
- Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent Partnership NHS Trust’s Children’s Community Offender Service
Economic Impact Award
- Rightangled Ltd, for the Heart DNA Test
- Kaido Group Ltd, for the Kaido Insights Engine
- Isansys, for new technology changing the face of healthcare
Excellence in Wellness and Prevention of Illness Award
- University of Birmingham, for the Birmingham 3 step approach
- Move it or Lose it, for the FABS Training Programme
MidTECH Award for Best NHS Invention or Innovation
- University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust, for the NHS Live Waiting Times app
- University Hospitals of Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust, for CareClocks
- Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust, for the Silver Linings app
- Birmingham Women’s and Children’s NHS Foundation Trust, for wireless technology being used to save young lives
Patient Safety Award
- Cordelia Court
- Birmingham Women’s and Children’s NHS Foundation Trust, for the Paediatric Hydration and Nutrition Care Bundle
- University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust, for the paradigm of frailty identification in acute services
Supporting Self Care Innovation Award
- Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust and Kidney Research UK, for ACE – Acceptance, Choice and Empowerment for pre-dialysis patients
- Birmingham Women’s and Children’s NHS Foundation Trust, for embracing the digital landscape of Diasend
- The Pharmacy Local Professional Network at NHS England Midlands and East, for an innovative approach to providing targeted information directly to patients
Social Enterprise Award
- First Byte CIC, for New2UKhealth
- PSIAMS Systems Ltd, for PSIAMS – A Whole System Approach
- University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust, for Saving Lives with Solar
Medicines Optimisation Award
- DIMEC, for the Pocket Prescription App
- University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust, for reducing antimicrobial resistance and increasing antimicrobial stewardship
- University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust, for the Royal Stoke multiple sclerosis service redesign
- The Dudley Group NHS Foundation Trust, for the Non Medical Prescribing pharmacist led medication review clinic
Mental Health Innovation Award
- The Strategy Unit, of Midlands and Lancashire Commissioning Support Unit, for making the case for integrating mental and physical healthcare
- University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust, for introducing the pioneering role of Clinical Lead Nurse in mental health
- Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust and Midlands and Lancashire Commissioning Support Unit, for RAIDPlus
Industry Collaboration Award
- Green Cross Medico, for the Airglove
- Sense.ly, for Ask NHS
- Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust, for Insights for Care
Advanced Diagnostics, Genomics and Precision Medicine Award
- Birmingham Women’s and Children’s NHS Foundation Trust, for the clinical application of non-invasive prenatal diagnosis
- University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust, for EGFR mutation testing
- The Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, for integrating genomic medicine into current care.