NE1 Ltd, the Business Improvement District Company for Newcastle City Centre, has unveiled its ambitious plans for a third term.
In advance of the renewal ballot in September, NE1 has published a consultation document outlining its priority areas for action over the next five years and reviewing the transformational impact of NE1’s projects delivered to date.
The document was launched at a business breakfast at the Newcastle University Business School.
A wide range of NE1’s 1,400 business members attended the launch together with Newcastle City Council leader, Nick Forbes. Councillor Forbes lent his support to NE1, endorsed all it has achieved over the last five years and urged the business community to contribute to the plans and challenge NE1 to push on and be even more bold and ambitious over its next term.
The focus of NE1’s new five-year plan is based on its founding principle, to keep business interests at the top of the political agenda. with this as the starting point the key areas for action are:
· Providing a stronger voice for business – Working with partners to raise awareness and perceptions of the city at a regional, national and international level.
· Curating the experience – Continue to run and develop NE1 events that have a proven return on investment including Screen on the Green, Newcastle Pride, the Newcastle Motor Show, Newcastle Restaurant Week and Welcome Students of the World.
· Digital Innovation - Working with key partners, NE1 plans to improve Newcastle’s digital infrastructure for both visitors and businesses investing in innovative digital projects to improve the business environment in the city centre.
· Attracting a wider audience - Supporting and delivering additional events that attract increasing numbers of people into the city centre.
· Greening the city – Ensure that the ‘green’ agenda is integral to all NE1’s physical projects and work with businesses to identify the feasibility of communal recycling facilities as well as working to reduce vehicle emissions in the pedestrian heart of the city.
· Capitalising on the Quayside waterfront - Turning the spotlight on the Quayside and maximising the opportunity that the area provides.
· Work with business to develop an annual events programme that positions the area as a destination in its own right.
· Using NE1’s previous knowledge and expertise of unlocking capital funding, deployed successfully for the Central Station, Northumberland Street and the Bigg Market, identify new funding streams for the Quayside that would maximise the impact and returns on any NE1 investment.
Following the launch, copies of the consultation document will be sent to NE1’s 1,400 business members, there will then be a one-month consultation period. The consultation will close on the 29 June.
NE1's business plan, incorporating business feedback, will then be issued on 3 September with the BID vote closing on 18th October.
Adrian Waddell, chief executive of NE1 Ltd, said: “This is an important and exciting time for Newcastle and NE1. We are proud of all that has been achieved over the last five years with the support and guidance of the city’s business community.
“We urge businesses to contribute and help us shape our plans which will be the foundation of our work for the next five years.”
Our BQ Bulletin emails will land in your inbox at 7.30am, Monday to Friday, with a mix of the latest local business news, national news, and features to inspire you. Sign up here!
Click here to read our privacy statement